Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Laos: A travel back in time

Laos is a country as yet untouched by the modern demands.

Its beauty lies in the Lao people, history, culture, nature and the simplicity of a laid back lifestyle.



Arc de Triomphe - Vientiane, Laos. Grand Legacy of Former French Colonization.


Two weeks ago, I was fortunate to have the chance to visit Laos for a few days. Although I was travelling with colleagues and couldn't take as many photos as I would have liked, it was an all-expense-paid trip, so I'm not complaining! Despite the limited opportunities to shoot, I was still able to capture some of the beauty of Laos on the go. Here are a few of the photos I managed to snap during the trip.



Note:I only brought one camera with me during this trip, the Fuji X100. 





Freshly cooked fish from the Mekong River


A good spot beside the Mekong river to enjoy some sumptuous dinner.








Ho Phra Keo



Laos is mostly a Buddhist country.




Pha Tat Luang. A temple at the heart of Vientiane. 


Hanging out beside the great Mekong river.


The capital city of Laos, Vientiane, presents a unique glimpse of an emerging city at its early stage of development. The city's architecture and infrastructure remind me of what my home country looked like 15 to 20 years ago. Vientiane is located at the side of the Mekong River, which also serves as the border with Thailand.

During my trip, I had the opportunity to visit Nam Ngum Lake, which is approximately 90 kilometers from Vientiane. This scenic and vast artificial lake was created when the Ngum River was dammed for hydroelectricity. The lake boasts many small islands, making it an excellent spot for recreational activities like boating and fishing. Below are some photos I took during my visit to Nam Ngum Lake.



Nam Ngum Lake


Nam Ngum Lake


Our lunch was served on a lake cruise. Cool isn't it?


Our next stop was at the town of Vang Vieng, located about four hour bus ride from the capital. 

The town lies at the bank of the Nam Song river, a scenic scene surrounded with Karst hills.


This scene made me feel nostalgic.



Hanging bridge leading to the hills.



Nam Song river                                                                                                                                                              



Beautiful hills at the background



View at the top of a small hill.



Nam Song river



Nam song river

I was absolutely captivated by the natural beauty of Vang Vieng during my recent trip to Laos. I only had a limited amount of time to explore, but I was struck by the stunning scenery and felt a deep connection to the simple, laid-back lifestyle of the locals.

Although I couldn't stay as long as I would have liked, I'm already dreaming of returning to Vang Vieng and experiencing even more of its charm. This trip was just a glimpse of a beautiful country that seems to be frozen in time, a refreshing change from the hectic, stressful pace of city life.

Overall, my trip to Laos was a much-needed break and a reminder to slow down and appreciate the natural beauty that surrounds us. Cheers to more adventures like this one!

Alex




No comments:

Post a Comment